Friday, January 20, 2012

A dissolving feather




"The Dissolving of Native American Culture",2D Wall-hanging; acrylics, cloth,custom stencil
I designed this piece for the "texture" unit for my Design class. For the assignment, we had to paint on an atypical ground, so I chose to go use a skirt with a Native American-esque print. I wanted to convey how Native Americans were established in the Americas before the Europeans even arrived. To me, it is a disheartening story of a beautiful culture being isolated and degraded. I really wish I would've learned more about Native American history while I was growing up-I feel like it's really depressing that I know so little about such a beautiful culture. At any rate, I used a custom abstract feather stencil that I designed and made with my trusty X-acto knife (Thank you Mom, Dad, & Mr. Henderson for the supplies!). You may want to keep an eye on the look out for the "dissolving" feather...most people do not see it...

No comments:

Post a Comment