Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Jump In Logic

"A Jump in Logic" acrylics, marker, cotton & nylon fabric.
My inspiration for this piece was the long history of the nautical star. The stories of how sailors and navigators relied on the stars for sailing and guidance was the first idea I worked with when planning this piece. I also learned that the nautical star is usually the decoration that is used to hide the metal rod that is installed in the sides of older houses-the nautical star holds the rod in place and keeps the house from falling apart. This stability that nautical stars hold was the idea that ended up becoming my final inspiration. I used complementary colors to make the stars stand out. This was the first time that I mixed fabric into the paint for the background. I tore nylon and cotton t-shirts and mixed them in with the black. I did this because I wanted to create a feeling of disorder and chaos, contrasting from the stars, which I wanted to make bright and stable. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I think the effect of the fabric in the negative space successfully conveys the idea of chaos, and I think the colorful star seems comforting somehow... cheerfulness in the chaos.

    ReplyDelete